Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Chronicles of Japania Day 2: Takin it Easy

I go to sleep about 3am the previous day and its freakin 6am and I`m already wide awake. Even half way around the world I can`t sleep correctly. YJ crashed with us last night and he and Kevin are still asleep like normal people. Check out time is at 9am so I got at least 2 and a half hours before anyone else gets up. Time to bust out the Ipod. Only one way to go...Taylor Swift.

Everyones finally up and we get on out of there. Head downstairs and had breakfast in the hotel lobby. It was alright. I ordered an orange juice for like 4 u.s dollars and it came in a shot glass. Fantastic. There was an item on the menu that read "Hawaiian Breakfast." The description said "spam, eggs and toast." Not a pineapple anywhere to be found I kid you not.

They decide to take me around Tokyo to see a few sights before me and Kevin head back to his city, Nagoya. Its an absolutely gorgeous day. The day before was really cold and rainy. Since YJ stayed with us he still has all his stuff with him so he is walking around the city with his long sleeve sweater, big jacket, and an umbrella in 75 degree weather and sunshine everywhere. Pretty damn funny. I hear a little about YJ`s story. Quite the interesting character. Korean dude that doesn`t even really wanna be Korean. See kiddos, not even Koreans wanna be Koreans. Life lessons.

Anyways after all the walking around they take me to a store called Bic Camera. Its like a giant electronic store. The thing is like 9 floors full of electronics and appliances and all sorts of crazy stuff. You can even purchase a Cambodian slave on the 7th floor. Its wild. So I wanted to get a camera in Japan and I`m looking through their stuff. A little disappointed as most of the stuff I saw was available in the U.S. But I did see this one that looked pretty badass. A bit pricey but I was like screw it I want it. Now... I think there was something like 150 different cameras on that floor... and 149 of them had the option to turn the menu into english. Guess which one I chose? Yea, total wackness.

No camera for me. Head to the train station ready to head to Nagoya. Said our goodbyes to YJ and hop on the bullet train. The train ride is about 2 hours long. Not to bad at all. Halfway into the trip though I go to my bag to get my Ipod out and...no ipod anywhere. Damnit i left it at the hotel. This sucks.

Kevin - dont worry ill call the hotel when we get back and they will send your stuff to my apartment
Gene - seriously? they do that?
Kevin - yea why wouldnt they?
Gene - i dunno? that wouldnt happen back in the states man. all the maids there are black or mexican. thats a christmas present for the family right there dude.
Kevin - dude its Japan, there are no mexicans and if they find it theyll keep it for you.
Gene - wow...no mexicans....

Before we get to the apartment he takes me to the 7-11 convenient store. Man they are OFF the chains. They got everything in there. Like an entire section of Japanese food, like real Japanese food! Noodles and ramen and soba and hot buns and hot soup and rice. It was amazing.

Anyways, we wrap up the day with dinner a bit later and I pass out. Pretty tired. Was a long two days. Nothing too too interesting today but Day 3 is pretty epic.


p.s. - even in Japan the bathrooms smell like doo doo. I half expected it to smell like potpurri all the time or something... i dunno.


PREVIEW FOR DAY 3 - I hustle myself out of $100 and a legendary conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment